The thing I like most about the Minelab E-TRAC is the tone outputs that it outputs. On numerous occasions I have been able to identify a target simply by the tone that is outputted. Some people actually find all the different tones hard to handle and rate it as difficult to understand and therefore a poor detector. I don’t really agree with that statement and think that with enough time you will learn to love the different tones and you will become a far more proficient treasure hunter as a result.
I find that the E-TRAC is terrific at finding silver. Every time I used the E-TRAC I was able to find silver where other detectors barely registered a sound.
Minelab E-TRAC Appearance
The Minelab E-TRAC is sleek looking with a all black look with the exception of the display.The quality of the machine is second to none and the buttons react immediately when pressed. This metal detector comes stock standard with a Pro coil. It should be noted that other Minelab coils in the Explorer range will also fit this detector.
The display is very large at 72mm x 48mm (2.8″ x 1.9″) greyscale LCD with contrast adjustment that can be a little difficult to see when in full sun.
Dimensions & Warranty
One of the best things about buying a Minelab metal detector is that they offer a 3 year manufacturers warranty.
- Length: 1060mm -1380mm (41.7″ – 54.3″).
- Weight: 1.6kg (3.5lbs) (ex. battery).
- Warranty: 3 year manufacturer warranty
The Minelab E-TRAC can be bought for around $1,500
- Headphones (Koss 100 ohm headphones)
- Rechargeable battery pack and standard battery pack included.
I like to look at Amazon ratings to determine what everyone else thinks of a metal detector to give a fair comparison to my own thoughts and opinions. I find that people on Amazon generally give some really insightful comments/feedback and they tend to rate detectors fairly accurately.
Minelab E-TRAC Amazon Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
In this price range you want to be sure you are getting value for money. The E-TRAC is a great machine that should not disappoint.
- Advanced signal processing using FBS technology. This allows for more accurate target identification.
- 1.5 – 100kHz frequency/transmission
- Coil (standard) 11″ Double-D lightweight – waterproof
- Smartfind 2 dimensional discrimination
- E-TRAC Exchange USB functionality – create download and upload your favorite E-TRAC settings and save them to your computer
- Ground Setting options of Neutral and Difficult allowing you to adapt easily to benign or the most challenging operating conditions
- User-centered keypad and menu design – fast and easy to use with intuitive icons and logical menu sequences
- Audio and visual low battery alert
- LCD Screen (Back lit)
Videos of the Minelab E-TRAC
There are so many videos on YouTube for the E-TRAC. This is but one of the many that are available which I feel are worth watching.
My Final Verdict
I really do like the E-TRAC and I think that given enough time to master the machine, you will too. I have never owned one, but I have used it quite a few times when out with friends. I love the audio feedback that this machine provides and the fact that it seems to find silver far more often than almost any other detector I have used – definitely in this price range.
Overall I recommend the E-TRAC and even rated it 2nd in the expert category of my list of the best metal detectors. I think it is probably not quite as good as the CTX 3030 metal detector, but it is also about half the price. If you want to have great audio tones and learn what it is under the ground before you even start digging, then the E-TRAC is about as good as a machine as you will find for that. If you want to find silver then again, this metal detector will do that for you also. If you want to find gold then I suggest that there are other better metal detectors out there for you to use.